Saturday, April 02, 2005

Video games and Maturity

A colleague asked me for my copy of Xonix and Metal Marines and SuperBikes which brought me back memories of my ITP days. SuperBikes was *The* game of our training batch. Other batches prefferred Road Rash or Age of Empires or An an aeroplane fight game. This was of course played over the network in blatant violation of company policies. And we carried this habit when we were finally put on projects as well. In fact our proper introduction to one of the projects project manager was only complete when he joined us for a round. Sometimes we played snooker tournaments.
Somehow however we have stopped playing any games now. I cant quite figure out why. The company rules are the same now as they were before. We haven't matured. And we still look back at the good ol' days with fondness.
I suspect that time has had its affect on us. And the devil may care attitude has been dropped by most of us. We care much more of the consequences now than we did then. Is this finally a sign of the rebellious streak being behind us and now we are the staid members of society conforming to its every rule?

No comments: